About the Program
Serving 25 new students each year, the Carson EDGE (Expanding Diverse Group Experiences) program addresses the specific needs and barriers of students from low socio-economic, first-generation backgrounds as they transition to WSU and pursue an undergraduate business degree.
Based in theory and driven by best practice, Carson EDGE programming:
- Develops within students’ the academic skills and behaviors that enable college success;
- Increases students’ social capital;
- Improves students’ contextual skills and awareness of both higher education and business;
- Increases and improves students’ non-cognitive beliefs, skills, and behaviors, including: growth mindset, pluralistic orientation, social self-concept, academic self-concept, and social agency.
In support of these outcomes, Carson EDGE students are mentored by their Carson College peers; guided by a network of supporters that include academic support professionals, faculty, and business & industry professionals; and participate in monthly activities to build their professional network and support their personal, academic, and career goals. In addition, upon successful completion of their first year, Carson EDGE students are awarded a $3,000 scholarship annually, renewable for up to 3 years for a total of $9,000.
As a result of our curriculum and scholarship, the Carson EDGE program seeks to significantly improve the retention, academic standing, and graduation rates of underrepresented students within the Carson College of Business. Thus, the Carson EDGE program seeks to achieve the following objectives:
- 100% of students served by the program will persist from their first academic year to their second year at WSU.
- 95% of students served by the program will maintain satisfactory academic standing within the Carson College of Business, earning at least a 2.5 cumulative Business GPA.
- 60% of students served by the program will graduate from the Carson College of Business with a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Hospitality Business Management within four years.
Now entering into our fourth year of the program, Carson EDGE students are achieving tremendous success.
During the 2020-2021 academic year, Carson EDGE students earned an average GPA of 3.42 (vs. a 2.92 GPA for non-EDGE students). Further, 39% of our 2020-2021 EDGE cohort earned a 4.00 cumulative GPA after completing their first semester of college, and 32% still maintained a 3.9 GPA or higher after completing their first year at WSU (vs. only 6% for non-EDGE students).
In addition, the Carson EDGE program has achieved the following results:
- 91% of the 2020-2021 EDGE cohort persisted to their second year at WSU;
- 100% of EDGE students graduate within four years;
- 100% are highly engaged in the Carson College of Business, emerging as student leaders across campus.
Program Eligibility & Requirements
To be eligible for Carson EDGE, a student must be a first-year, first-generation (FG) and/or low socio-economic (LI) WSU student and have declared an academic interest in a business major.
If interested, students should apply during the term prior to their enrollment at Washington State University. The Carson EDGE program application can be found here.
Once accepted into the program, students are not required to reapply and may continue to participate through graduation from Washington State University as long as they meet the following requirements:
- Successful completion of their first year of year of the Carson EDGE program
- 2.6 Cumulative GPA
- Continuing Academic Interest or Admitted Major in Business
- Full-time student status on the Pullman Campus
For More Information
Career Consultant & Carson EDGE instructor
Academic Advisor, Carson EDGE Tier Leader