About the Program
The Carson College of Business Peer Mentor Program operates out of and is managed by the Carson Center for Student Success. This program is currently in its fifth year of operation, and has worked to successfully impact many Carson College of Business first year students since the program began in 2015.
Carson College of Business Peer Mentors are committed to helping first and second year Carson College of Business students successfully navigate the college experience–acting as guides in balancing life and school, and aiding students in getting involved in programs and organizations that will help them attain their educational, personal, and career goals.
Carson College of Business Peer Mentor Program Objectives
- Assist students in feeling more connected to the campus and their educational goals.
- Support students in developing or refining their ability to articulate and formulate plans to actively pursue and achieve their academic and career goals.
- Help students in their transition to the college environment and navigate their programs of study.
- Make students aware of the resources available to them on campus and in the community and encourage them to make use of them.
- Help students to develop or refine their study skills and time management abilities which are so important to student success.
- Inform students of the organizations and clubs that the university has to offer, help them to get involved, or even start their own club if they feel that one is needed but not offered.
- Enhance student leadership skills.
- Monitor student academic performance.
- Provide opportunities for students to build academic, social, and professional networks through seminars, events, co-curricular activities, and industry mentors.
- Foster a growth mind-set.
How To Get Involved
Please connect me to a Peer Mentor:
If you are a first or second year business student at WSU and believe that you would benefit from the support of a peer mentor, please use the link below to apply to participate in the program.
How can I become a Peer Mentor:
If you are an admitted business student with at least one year of experience at WSU and a cumulative WSU GPA of 3.0 or higher and can commit to helping first and second year business students successfully transition to WSU for a minimum of one academic year as well as participating in an extensive training program leading up to your service as a mentor, please use the link below to apply to participate in the program.
Please note: Students selected to serve as peer mentors are selected as recipients of the Carson College of Business Cougs Helping Cougs Scholarship each year, early in the spring semester. Selected recipients must complete an extensive peer mentor training program during the spring semester, and begin their peer mentor duties during the fall of the next academic year.