A resume/CV is the one document
that can either
get you an interview
leave you out of one
It is important that employers can easily obtain relevant and concise information, but with specific details.
Make sure that you make an appointment with a CCB Career Advisor to have your resume professionally reviewed!
Below are some general tips and examples
Items to Include:
- Header with your name, address, email (must be a professional email address!), phone number, and LinkedIn URL (personalized)
- Section headers such as: Experience, Volunteer Work, Leadership Roles, Honors and Distinctions, etc.
- Targeted bullet points (each starting with various action verbs) describing your Accomplishments, as relates to the job description for the job you are applying for
- 0.5 in to 1 in margins on all sides
- 10 -12 pt. font
- Professional style font (Times New Roman, Calibri, Helvetica, etc.)
- One page (unless you have two full pages of relevant information)
- NO TEMPLATES!
Create your own “Master Resume” that includes everything you have done for work experience, internship experience, volunteerism, course projects, all memberships and leadership roles, etc. Put detailed bullet points for each experience and keep updating it every time you have something new to add. By doing this, when you need to apply for an internship or job, you can copy and paste only the relevant information from your Master Resume and never have to worry about starting from scratch each time! Just be sure to tailor the action verbs and some details in your resume to match the wording in the job description for the job you are applying for!