Is graduate school in your future? Is it right for you? What do you need to consider and when?
Tips on making the decision to go
Why, When, where, how?
What do grad schools look for in a candidate
- Why do you want to go?
- When do you want to go?
- Where do you want to go? (School/Geographically>
- How are you going to pay for it?
- Applications—consider due dates and application fees;
- Personal statements and other application essays—dos and don’ts
- Recommendation letters—how to ask, what info to provide, etc.
- Typically, determine your school choices by spring
- Chart deadlines for each college choice
- Campus visits if possible, direct contact
- Take entrance test at least 6 months prior to deadline
- Start writing on essay at least 6 months before deadline
- Ask for recommendation letters at least 4 months prior to deadline
- Polish essay and resume
- Fill out application at least two month prior.
- Send in application package well ahead of deadline.
- Standardized tests: GRE, GMAT, etc. –tips, practice sites, importance
- Grad school interviews—some schools will have them, how to prepare, mock interview