Each year, twelve junior-level students (4 engineering, 4 business, 2 science and 2 communication) are selected as Boeing Scholars. In their senior year, these students participate in a multidisciplinary design course in which they address Boeing-sponsored projects with both engineering and business components. The project culminates in a formal presentation to Boeing management and entry in the Business Plan Competition.
The Boeing Company instituted this scholarship program at the turn of the century at WSU to provide a multidisciplinary educational experience for outstanding students. When Boeing Scholars enter the globally competitive industrial workplace, they already have experience working with professionals from a range of disciplinary backgrounds.
If you are selected as a Boeing Scholar, you must do the following:
- Apply for a Boeing paid summer internship in the fall of your junior year.
- Accept and participate in an internship if offered. Internships start in May and June.
- Register for Entrepreneurship 496 (year-long senior project course)
- Submit an essay critiquing your experience in the program
- Participate in professional development activities, such as attending designated seminars and planning events
Projects from the 2015-2016 cohort included the following:
- Underwater Energy Storage (UES): Students were challenged to design a underwater pumped energy storage system for offshore wind energy suppliers that would enable energy storage.
- SCF Consulting: SCF provided supply chain assessment services that provided significant savings in business operations. Utilizing both qualitative and quantitative methods the team facilitated the development of a comprehensive solution that reduced forecasting risk.
- $1,000 in your junior year
- $3,000 in your senior year
- Certified business major
- Junior class standing
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
Write a paragraph (no more than 200-300 words) answering each of these two questions:
- Discuss a special attribute or true accomplishment that sets you apart.
- How will your participation in this program contribute to your long-range career plans?
Include your name and WSU ID number at the top of the page. Submit your paragraphs and resume to Marie Mayes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, September 9, 2016
Director, Center for Entrepreneurial Studies