Dear Friends,

David Whidbee
Dr. David Whidbee

I hope this edition of our eDividend finds you well. The Carson College of Business has experienced a number of changes since our last Dividend communication. Perhaps the most significant is the change in leadership within our college. Provost Dan Bernardo has appointed Larry “Chip” Hunter as the next Carson College dean. Chip comes to us from the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Business, where he was the senior associate dean and associate dean of the full-time MBA program. He earned his doctoral degree in industrial relations and human resource management from the Sloan School of Management at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. I will continue to serve as interim dean until his start date of Aug. 1, at which point I plan to return to faculty and focus on research and teaching.

I have enjoyed working with you during my 10 years in the dean’s office. Serving as associate dean and most recently as interim dean has provided me the opportunity to get to know many of you. The college’s future is bright due to the hard work and commitment of many. Thank you for all you do to support the Carson College.

Above all, I am continually impressed by the caliber of our faculty, staff, students and alumni. This issue of eDividend is rich with examples of recent research, entrepreneurial ventures and academic leadership accomplishments that bring distinction to the university and help us continue building the Carson College of Business brand. You can read more about our name change and celebration in this issue’s feature article, “Becoming the Carson College of Business.”

While all the featured stories and points of pride in this issue are exciting and celebratory, it saddens me to announce that we lost one of our respected colleagues due to a sudden illness. Denney Rutherford, Ivar Haglund Distinguished Professor Emeritus in the School of Hospitality Business Management, passed away Feb. 11. Denney occupied the office next to mine when I first arrived at WSU 18 years ago, and he was a kind, generous and supportive colleague until the day he passed. Everyone who knew Denney will miss him dearly. His legacy of professionalism and positive impact upon students and associates will be unmistakable as you read “Remembering Denney Rutherford.”

As we head into April, we will be offering several learning opportunities designed to engaged the community and create amazing educational experiences for students. I encourage you to consider supporting our efforts at the following signature events: the Business Technology Symposium on April 3, the Burtenshaw Lecture Series on April 22, and the annual Business Plan Competition on April 24-25.

As always, thank you for your support and engagement. I wish you the best as we prepare for a new chapter in the Carson College.

Regards,

David A. Whidbee, PhD

Interim Dean and Omer L. Carey Chair in Financial Education