(L to R) Kelly Parriott, VP of retail marketing & innovation; Joe Fugere, Tutta Bella founder & CEO; Tamra Nelson, VP of retail sales. Courtesy photo

Joe Fugere—2021 Hall of Fame Inductee

Joe Fugere presenting the Burtenshaw Lecture in 2011. WSU Photo Services

Joe Fugere (’84 Hotel & Rest. Admin.) is the founder and CEO of Tutta Bella Neapolitan Pizzeria, the Northwest’s first Neapolitan pizzeria to be certified by the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana. Fugere opened his first restaurant in Seattle’s Columbia City neighborhood and currently has seven neighborhood restaurants in the greater Seattle area, a food truck, a retail business, and two in-store restaurants inside QFC groceries in Kirkland and Seattle’s University District. Fugere’s company often hosts Carson Cougs for learning experiences at Tutta Bella locations in the Seattle area. Read his full bio.

WHAT DOES BEING INDUCTED INTO THE HALL OF FAME MEAN TO YOU?

I was in disbelief when I was notified. When I was a student, two things inspired me: a dream of delivering the Burtenshaw Distinguished Lecture one day and being recognized by the School of Hospitality Business Management (SHBM) in some way. Both of those things have happened, and it’s extremely humbling and such an honor. It’s a feeling that’s hard to put into words.

WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO SUPPORT THE WSU HOSPITALITY PROGRAM?

I think it’s the impact SHBM has had over the years. What I really love about the program is the combination of pragmatism, real-world application of experience, and scholastic aptitude wrapped into one. The SHBM leaders and the Carson College of Business administrators are great people with a soul. It really makes a difference.

WHAT DO YOU FIND MOST REWARDING ABOUT ENGAGING WITH STUDENTS?

You get a fresh perspective anytime you work with young people. I love their inquisitive nature. It’s an honor when we receive a request to talk to students. It’s part of our culture to find a way to say “yes” to engage with them, particularly when they are from WSU. When students network with professionals, they get a glimpse of the future and the knowledge that comes with experience.

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE HAPPEN IN THE CARSON COLLEGE IN TERMS OF DEVELOPING STUDENTS?

The hospitality curriculum is already strong and keeps getting more relevant and powerful by the year. If I had a request, it would be to turn up the volume when it comes to interacting with industry, for example more panel discussions, Q&A sessions, and access for students to learn from professionals. When I was in the program, we did a marketing blitz with hotel companies. We’d meet at clients’ offices and talk about what the hotel and restaurant program had to offer. It was enlightening to me because I hadn’t thought about the real-world application until we were required to do it.

WHAT WAS YOUR MOST POSITIVE OR TRANSFORMATIONAL CAREER EXPERIENCE AS AN INDUSTRY LEADER AND WHY?

Twenty years ago, I left a lucrative job at Starbucks to start my own business and do something meaningful. I wanted to set my own company’s values, determine how our employees and vendors were treated, and how we engaged with the community. I went back to my ancestral roots to Naples, Italy, to learn the true art of Neapolitan pizza. When I returned to Seattle, I opened the first Tutta Bella. I began investing time in advocating for small businesses on a local, state, and national level. In 2010, I attended the signing of the Small Business Lending Act at the White House where President Obama recognized Tutta Bella for its contribution to economic recovery. This year, Puget Sound Business Journal recognized Tutta Bella as No. 17 in its ranking of 100 fastest growing private companies.

HOW HAS THE SCHOOL OF HOSPITALITY BUSINESS MANAGEMENT IMPACTED YOUR INDUSTRY?

The SHBM has had a HUGE impact on the hospitality industry. When students enter the program, they are also joining a family of support, guidance, and influence. Students eventually exit the program, but they never really exit this family network. The college continues to inject innovation and expertise into our industry by advancing students who are well informed on trends and traditions. Additionally, these graduates are well known across the globe for being pragmatic, productive, and highly effective in their new roles.

WHAT INDUSTRY TRENDS SHOULD HOSPITALITY STUDENTS BE PREPARED TO FACE?

Students should be prepared for trends that are happening globally in the industry, for example, advancements in AI and electrification, increased use of robots, and changes in expectations of the guest experience. As the world changes, we need to double down on hospitality skills because human interaction will always be part of the industry. Hospitality is one of the last industries in its purest form.

WHAT CAREER ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE HOSPITALITY STUDENTS?

My advice is do what you love. Make a list of all the things you’re good at and one of all the things you love. Those things have to align. As students are looking towards the future, they should ask themselves if they will love the company’s mission/vision/values, where they’ll be living, and what they’ll be doing. If they see themselves eventually falling in love with it, great, but if not, I would encourage them to keep looking.