Alumnus Shawn McKinley is chief operating officer for WithCo Cocktails, a beverage company specializing in cocktail mixers made with fresh ingredients.

Food & Beverage Exec. Shaun McKinley Grateful for Education

By Sue McMurray

At just 17, Shaun McKinley found his professional calling while working amid the chaos, customers, and cuisine of a fine-dining restaurant. The constant problem-solving and endless learning opportunities intrigued him, and he couldn’t get enough of trying new foods, learning about wine and spirits, and aspiring to know what it means to run a business.

Recognizing McKinley’s potential, his boss, who owned the restaurant, knew WSU has one of the top hospitality programs in the country and urged McKinley to look into it for his undergraduate degree.

“I’m extremely grateful for the education I received at WSU and the professors who helped prepare me for a career in hospitality,” says McKinley (’10 Hosp. Busi. Mgmt.), who has spent the last 12 years building a well-rounded career in the beverage industry. “The variety of classes and the detailed curriculum translated perfectly from school to the workforce. As an executive, I  face so many challenges that I first learned about in my HBM classes.”

Working his way toward a hospitality leadership position

McKinley says problem-solving, communication, and compassion helped him excel as an industry leader, as well as creativity, work ethic, leadership, and interpersonal skills. “In hospitality, nothing is ever going to go the way you want, so you have to be adaptable and thrive in uncomfortable situations.”

McKinley put that knowledge to work at several high-level restaurants, hotels, and hospitality companies, including Seattle’s Fairmont Hotel, the Heathman Hotel Kirkland, and Columbia Hospitality, among others. He also earned his tea sommelier, level 2 wine sommelier, and wine steward sommelier certifications.

“The best part about working in hospitality is that you are able to have a variety of experiences: hotels, restaurants, casinos, and golf courses—all of them require a particular set of skills to operate successfully,” he says. “My goal was to always be balanced in my work experience so my skill set could be used in various segments of the hospitality industry.”

Move to Nashville opens new opportunity with forward-thinking brand

After building his career in the Seattle area, McKinley and his wife moved to Nashville, where the hospitality industry is rapidly growing. He became the chief operating officer at WithCo Cocktails, a beverage company that sells cocktail mixers made from fresh ingredients free of concentrates and artificial flavors.

“In 2020 when I met Josh Ellis, WithCo’s owner and cofounder, he was looking for operations help as well as capital to help scale the business. I came on shortly after as an investor and consultant, which ultimately led to becoming the full-time COO.”

McKinley says WithCo was one of the fortunate ones of the pandemic, as in-home drinking skyrocketed, and the company was able to ship product worldwide since they are non-alcoholic.

As COO, McKinley wears many hats, ensuring his team of 12 works efficiently to meet monthly, quarterly, and annual goals. He oversees fulfillment and accounting operations and works on business development. He’s also involved in fundraising, sales, and marketing to keep the business running smoothly and growing.

Giving back to WSU is a priority

Despite these responsibilities, McKinley finds time to volunteer on the School of Hospitality Business Management advisory board. He decided to join after a conversation with board member Brian McGinnis one evening during a WSU Feast of the Arts dinner.

“I knew if I were able to reconnect with the SHBM program, I’d make it a priority,” McKinley says. “My ultimate goal was to see what support was needed and how I could give back to the university that provided me with so many tools and resources in my career. I would recommend that anyone in hospitality reach out to current or previous professors, alumni, or board members to get engaged with the program.”