Skip to main content Skip to navigation


When planning your course schedule, think globally

The International Learning Requirement gives you an understanding of peoples of different nations and cultures. At the same time, it enables you to realize the importance of a global perspective.

How to satisfy the international learning requirement

You must either complete 1 of the following:

  • Study abroad: Earning 6 or more semester credit hours. (You can earn these hours in a single study abroad program or through 2 smaller programs.)
  • Second major or minor: Choose from 1 of the following disciplines:
    • Foreign language
    • Global studies
    • International business
  • Certificate: The discipline must have a significant international component, such as East Asian Studies.


Complete any 2 of the following requirements:

  • Study abroad: Complete 1 brief program for at least 3 semester credit hours.
  • International internship: The International Business Institute must approve your internship. The duration of your internship can range from 2 weeks to 1 year. It can take place during any semester, including summer. You can earn a maximum of 3 credit hours.
  • Carson College international course: It may include IBUS 380, any International Business Institute 300 or 400 level course, or any cross-listed course offered by the International Business Institute. (IBUS 492 is excluded). See the list of courses that meet this requirement.
  • Non-Carson College international course: It must be approved through the International Business Institute.  See the list of eligible courses.

International students (not including Global Campus students)

You will meet your study abroad requirement through your study in the United States.

Honors College students

If you have met the requirement for demonstrated proficiency in a foreign language, you will meet the Carson College of Business international learning requirement.

Military personnel

If you have been abroad for military appointment or travel, you may petition administrators to allow your international travel experiences to fulfill up to 3 of the required credit hours.

Washington State University